Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Cincinnati Public Library

Last night was another VERY lazy night, it was sunny when I woke up so Matt and I planned on running with his new Forerunner last night and really start kicking butt. Well we spoke at 4:00 and after looking at nothing but green on the radar screen, there wasnt the slightest chance we'd be running. Plus the temperature dropped to the 50s so Iwas cold most of the night, and the only thing i hate more than being cold is being cold and wet. So then on to plan B....

We made dinner (leftover pizza from Sunday, Salad and the last 1.5 pieces of corn of the cobb I had in the fridge). Matt made a make shift pizza that looked horrible- it was bread on a plate with pizza and pesto sauce, pepperoni, and cheese and then stuck it in the microwave. Um, ew. Of course, whenever we eat early after work we are sitting around wondering what to do since the weather wasnt really cooperating for us. Last night matt came up with the great idea to check out the downtown library- the seventh largest libraries in the US. And I believe it, it was huge. We were there for about an hour adn only managed to wind ourselves through the reference area, the computer area, and the 'popular libary' as they call it. We were on the hunt for a book we could read together. So, Fiction or Non-Fiction, Matt? He said Non-Fiction so off we went to dig through the 10 shelves of 'popular non-fiction.' I was very open to whatever matt wanted to read... as long it wasnt an investment book that would be slow and not that interesting. And not to mention i had bought Alan Greenspan's book for him a few months ago that he has barely started.

He actually picked out two books for us. And i was thrilled, Matt doesnt really like to sit down and read too often (besides the internet news and reference). He found a book about Ultrametabolism and one about a girl who has a perfect memory and hasnt forgotten a day in her life. The Ultrametabolism was for me (of course), but the biographic-type was for the both of us... and so far last night we read about 20 pages in. I love reading togehter.... even though getting used to reading outloud has been an adjustment for the two of us. I love the bonding time and how we can wind down before bed. I really do hope this tradition continues.

And here is some words of advice...whenever you get a new library card always tell the librarian that your address on your drivers liscence is your current address. Both matt nor I had cards so they need this info from us.... matt just said his ID was correct. I-- was honest-- and said not this isnt but I can give it to her. The lady across the counter said no no the only other way to get a card was to bring a bill (no more than 1 month old) and electric statement (no >1 month old) and a few other items i CLEARLY wouldn't be carrying on a normal basis. I don't know why, but for some reason i took some offense to the rejection (perhaps its that certain time of the month) and got a little unnerved by this lady's complete UNWILLINGNESS to be the public servant that she is and get more people to the public libraries. I even got a little snooty and said, "well, then this IS my current address." If clearly all she needs is some verbal contract that this is a current address-- I was giving her just that. Its not like I am a homeless man ready to check out 100 books and run up 700 bucks in fines and never come back. Do I LOOK LIKE SOMEONE LIKE THAT??? I mean, COME ON WOMAN!!! I tried working with this lady and i dug through my purse to give her any verification that I am not a fraud, my govt ID? a business card? , NO, no. She even stopped responding to me at one point. I dont know what got into me. and i really wasn't acting angry at the lady, I was speaking in a totally normal voice; however, I was kind of disgusted at the system and said to matt in front of the lady that i apparently needed to get a new drivers license in order to take out library books. Yes, i could have been more polite, i admit it. OK so matt had to check out our two books and i went home rejected from the Cincinnati Public Library.....next time ill be better I promise

1 comment:

EJH said...

When I requested my Twinsburg Library Card a week ago I took your advice and just told them my Solon address was valid :) Saved me quite a bit of hassle!