Friday, May 16, 2008

A Dog Story

Today is finally friday. Although the week didnt seem too bad (or too long) I am ready for it to end and look forward to hopefully better weather. Its really getting me down, I want summer weather so bad. Its probably about 10-15 degree cooler than it should be at this time, and I dont think I've seen the sun since Tuesday.

This weekend I want to relax, catch up on my chores because my bathroom is a mes ( I cant stand it), and hopefully exercise. But we'll see how much gets done because HALF of my weekend, all of tomorrow is booked up. I have to get up unusually early and be on the road at my usual wake up time to go to a wedding shower in columbus. Its starts at noon-- which I think is a little early considering you have people travelling for it. And its all day with a "low key" party at night. Now, dont get me wrong, I adore my friend who is getting married, She is a very sweet girl and I would do anything for her, but I have to admit doing all this tomorrow seems a bit exhausting. Not to mention coordinating getting my dog let out.... oy. But I do remind myself that this is all for my friend, and if it was for me she would come. (although I dont want to have any showers when i get married because I dont think many women actually enjoy them as much as the bride-to-be). But that's just me. And I must emphasize, i love my friend... and i plan to go to all the other showers and parties coming up for her in the next two months...

So last night was miserable and I didnt exercise. No surprise there. ugh... i am feeling sluggish which is turn is probably affecting my mood, which is probably affecting my attitude about this weekend. Last night I did have intentions to do at least something, but when i saw matt after work he had absolutely no desire to at all. So, I compromised and made some dinner with him and relaxed a little bit. Well, since we ate dinner so early, it was only 7 o'clock when we finished and we had nothing to do. The weather was miserable outside, he said he wasn't feeling very good and just wanted to lay down, and I was restless for a slow day at work and feeling the need to work-off the crap I ate for our anniversary. Matt said if I wasn't feeling good imagine what he would be doing for me-- and he is right, he would bend over backwards to make me comfortable-- so i obliged and laid down next to him to chit chat. Although I was clearly in the mood for some activity, i suggested I read a book out loud to him.... so i could be busy and he could listen. Well, this is where the a new tradition (i hope) has begun. I pulled the book he gaveme for Christmas down, 'Rescuing Sprite', which i hesitated to read because I know all dog books end with the dog dying. That's partly why I never read the NY best seller last year, 'Marley and Me.' I saw my mom reading it last summer sobbing her eyes out. Why do that to myself?

Well, even though i warned Matt how reluctant i was to read it, I decided to give it a shot because Matt liked the author, Mark Levin. Apparently he is on the radio (although i have never hear of him), a conservative commentator and a constitutional lawyer. Maybe I live in a closed box, Should I have heard of him? He does sound smart and interesting to listen to... but I still dont want to read a sad book about his dog where the sub title is "a Lover's Story about Joy and Anguish." So i opened it, flipped through the intro and was about to being reading the first chapter. Matt stopped me instantly as he saw me flipping and told me i HAD to read the intro... so i flipped back and started on page 'i' instead of '1.' Well i got through page 2 of the 3 page Introduction and I was already crying!! literally, tears pouring down my face. I even started laughing because I could barely make it to page 1, but was cying so hard through my laugh Matt didnt know whether to comfort me or kick me off the bed.

Well after some serious coaxing we started reading it together, I started reading first, then Matt, and we switched off and ended up reading 3-4 chapters last night. I found it to be really relaxing and a great way to bond with each other... even though I made him stop as soon as he got into reading some sad stuff about Sprite (yes, only about 60 pages in). I don't know if i have it in me to go back to the book. There is something about bonding with a dog and losing it that most people cant understand unless they have experienced it. I still get teary thinking about my childhood dog that grew up with us for 15 years (and died when i was a junior in college). People who own outside dogs dont get this experience, but an inside dog is really a member of the family. But a member that is always happy to see you-- no matter what kind of mood you are in-- stands with you anytime you need them, plays with you when you see down, and loves you like you are their world. And all they want is love in return.... people always say we can learn a lot my the selflessness of dogs, and now that I have my own dog the bond is even deeper. I'm getting woeful just writing this, I better close and try to get the Friday work day over with.

1 comment:

SO said...

Hi, Thank you for the comment. I think you are my first reader. You ARE my first commenter and I must admit to squealing in excitement...a little (I know, so very sad right?).

At any rate, Traveling Mercies (plus two follow up memoirs and a bunch of fiction) was written by Anne Lamott. She is, as a matter of fact, my favorite modern writer. She has also penned a colum over at Salon.com (Mothers Who Think).

Thanks again. I was really touched.

Susanna