Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympics

Gosh I love the Olympics! I used to get really into the winter games when i was little-- mostly because my parents (mostly my mom) loved the ice skating events. Because she watched them so avidly we naturally got into the competition too. We even had a little get-togethers with out neighbors with ice cream and popcorn and watched the ice skating together--we even had our favorite skaters!

As I got older my time available to devote to such things grew more scarce, and to be honest- i barely remember watching much of any of them in the last 6-8 years. This year, and especially this weekend when the games started- I am hooked! These are best 17 days of TV all summer! I was lucky enough to catch the opening ceremony my dad 'dvr'ed- which were AWESOME by the way, and the following games i caught this weekend were great. I am even following the medal count ( USA-12, China- 13). I havent quite decided which are my favorite-- so far i have seen a lot of the swimming events (IMs, mens 100 breast, womans 100 back, women's relay), I actually got the Womens 2x sculls, AND the mens 2x sweep rowing (I think my favorite so far), i saw some gymnastics last night, saw the cycling (150 mi race)-- well, parts of it, and a little bit of sand and regular volleyball. I hope to catch some diving and some track events soon-- those tend to really catch my attention. And matt tells me table-tennis is o so impressive too. I am excited!

I really have no other exciting news to report this week. I had a great weekend, I got to see my parents a lot this weekend AND hangout with my best friends. Went over to her and her sister's new apartment (which was so cute) and hung out there for a few hours in the afternoon on Saturday. Sat outside by the pool, her lovely sister made us lunch, and we just sat around and chatted for a while. Gosh did it make me wish we lived closer! We had a great dinner on Saturday night and we just hung out with my parents the rest of the weekend. The car ride felt so long on the way back, and matt and i got into a bunch of pesky fights-- all so stupid. But i guess the whole weekend didnt have to be perfect, overall it was still much better than average.

The next two weeks I am training all day at work-- today is the last day of no training so I am hoping to get a lot done. It may leave little time for posting, however ill do what i can before I get my morning coffee. Tonight A and I are hosting the open row for all the novices and rowers without keys...w e are hosting every Monday this month to rack up our volunteer hours. It might rain-- of course-- the days we are in charge we have weather complications. Nothing is ever easy.

Well, better get to those work emails and kick-start the week.

No comments: