Monday, March 1, 2010

March is here

well, HELLO March. It's nice to see you.. although i tend to not look foward to March. It's long, it's grey, it's cold. No holidays. Really nothing to look forward to this month at all. Things to not look forward to include work trips, but we'll save the negativity for another post.

I do have quite a few things on my mind this Monday. Things like my Grandma, my friends, the Olympics, my husband, my family. Not all of them are things i want to talk about right here and now, but they are floating around up there. A lot.

Lets start with something good-- the Olympics and how much i LOVE the games. I admit i didnt watch nearly as much as i would have liked, but the one things about this time if the spirit it evokes all around. It's a lot of great energy and it really brings us all together. My favorite part-- the Hockey game last night USA vs. Canada. And hockey is not one sport i like to watch, but this game brought EVERYONE together. It was one heck of a game too. I went to the gym in the middle of it and as i looked down the row of elipticals all the tv monitors were tuned into this game. Every one of us was intently watching and we all simultaneously cheered when we scored our first goal. It was something really neat to watch, and to know that SO MANY OTHERS are watching this game right now too. What a truly memorable Olympics, and a great metal showing for our country. I am certainly proud to be part of this country.

In other unrelated news my Grandma was released from rehab this weekend. It is great news because we all know how hard she has worked for the doctors to send her home. Considering she has battled psuenomia (sp?), more fluid in her lungs, complications with her water, diabetes, and open soars on her legs, not to mention the swelling in her legs and feet which makes it even more painful for her to get around. But would you believe it that she was taking steps and riding on a stationary bike!?! What a strong willed woman. I am so proud of her. Now that is not to say she is better and healthy at home because she is not, she is still very weak and old, and needs a lot of help right now. It breaks my heart thinking about her in all honesty. She told me last week that she has been praying for all of us her whole life and now it's her turn. And is she ever so right, and it's our turn to make she she knows how much we love her and want her to be OK. I thought it would be nice for her grankids to make sure she knows she feels loved. I decided to take it upon myself to make sure gram knows and send her a letter from all of her grandkids. I emailed all them and told them to get back to me with a little note or letter by today. And would you believe it that only half the family responded to me? I dont get it, it's like her kids split down the middle and only 2 families responded. Why would you not respond? This has nothing to be with me, or family, or any one cousin, it has everything to do with making sure grandma feels loved and appreciated.. and us taking note that every.single.day we have with her now is a gift. WHY would you not want to do something nice? It's very disheartening....

However, in all my weekend was very relaxing. Matt and I called it a "stay cation" for real. We went out on a couple dates both nights and got to use some old gift cards we had around. Friday night we went to Bonefish Grill and had a fantastic meal for since we don't eat meat on Friday's during lent. Then we asked a few friends to go to the Pub with us and that was a time and matt got to spend a good night with some of his poker friends he doesnt really party with on weekends. I know he appreciated it. And i got to spend time with my new friend E- who is also coming over tonight to watch the Bachelor with me. She certainly is becoming a solid friend of mine and I cant even describe how happy that makes me. Especially when i too often feel forgot froma select few of other friends. But i wont go there today. Saturday night matt and I also had a good day together, we went out for bubble tea in clifton, drove around, went to bed bath and beyond to pick up some coffee and then relaxed and had another great dinner at Bravo (thank you saint Nick!).

For lent this year instead of giving up something i decided i would try to go to Church every week since ive been so bad about it. So far so good, matt and I went to St. Mary's in Hyde park yesterday morning and then went out to brunch together. It was good we did that together, it definitely helped us get back in step with each other.


So lots going on ahead, busy weekend ahead as well. Here a couple pics with E and Matt and his poker friends at the bar. Check on the shoes---- wowza.




2 comments:

ann ominous said...

hah...that's too funny. we went to Bravo saturday too!

EJH said...

I have SOOOOO many comments about this entry!!!

1) I know, it's amazing how stressful it can be when grandparents are sick. It's frustrating when it seems like some people are less attentive than they could be. I know all this first hand--my grandparents have been ill recently and it caused some strain amongst the family--but I just kept reminding myself as I'm sure others did--that everyone deals with stress in different ways, and it's absolutely no good adding resentment to the stress. Not that you are! But that's what *I* told myself while I spent New Years Eve in two hospitals 1.5 months before the bar exam :)

2. Your life sounds awesome, btw :) I hope some day to be as happily married (or as happily single) as you :) I love reading your accounts of even day to day stuff!

3. I too have resolved to get to church this Lent instead of giving something up!!! I don't know why it seems so hard, because once I go I love it!! I found a 5:30pm Sunday service at the Cathedral downtown and my friend Kelly and I have been going together. It's really fun, and we get to gossip afterwards! I hope to add another friend too, and in time maybe make going for coffee after church part of the routine. I think combining it with social interaction is good--that's probably why all the young adults stay so active at Parkside and other megachurches; there is a huge social element and they all hang out after church!

TONS OF LOVE from your pseudo-sister in Cleveland :)