Friday, May 1, 2009

Welcome May

May 1st. Hello, May. I cant believe you are here already! I cant believe almost 5 months have passed since i got engaged, I cant believe the cold weather is pretty much behind us now, I just cant believe it's May. In my head May is the start of summer. And once summer starts, fall is next. And fall is the season of the wedding.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

I seem to be in La la land when it comes to realizing that i actually MUST start doing something. I always feel bad talking about the wedding because i havent really done much lately. People ask me about it and in my head i am thinking ' you really dont give two shits.' I admit, the people around me are polite. I recognize the courtesy.

I have some big things i gotta do now too. Like order invitations. Figure out the wording. Bicker with my mother also falls on the list. I know these things are meaningless, but for some reason i wish the process was simpler. It most definitely is not. We also need to finalize the guest list. Matt has done nothing. We also need to order our favors. O ya, WE ALSO NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TIME THE WEDDING IS!!! This above all things is stressing me out. Due to time constraints I dont believe we have time for a receiving line. The wedding starts at 2, we need to be out by 3:30. Which gives us a half hour for pictures in the church. My mom says we MUST have a receiving line. Or we move the wedding up to 1:30. I don't want to move it to 1:30 because since people may be travelling that morning, I feel like 2pm is a lot more comfortable if you are driving from cleveland. My mom and I already had a fights about it. I don't know what to do.

This decision needs to be made before i cant print the invitations.

I need to order the invitations soon.

But back to May. I do love May. The flowers, the warm but not hot weather, the longer days. Time is just flying too fast. I need to slow down and take the time to enjoy things. Slow down, but not ignore my ever-growing to-do list. I hope this weekend in DC with my family isnt stressful. I cant only imagine what kind of arguments are waiting in the wings.

Enjoy the first weekend of May. It supposed to rain all weekend..... hopefully the forecast changes a little brighter.

2 comments:

ann ominous said...

A) If the wedding starting at 2 means that the music starts at 2 that's fine, because you have to get married on the UP!!!! HUGE legend: "Time of day to get married: the couple should exchange their vows as the clock's minute hand is moving upwards, therefore any time half past the hour, for example 2:30 or 4:45. The upward movement is said to bring blessings upon the couple as the minute hand is "ascending towards heaven." "

:-)
B) photography: try to get your photographer to take some of the pictures at the church before the wedding. I imagine that you all will be at the church by noon at the latest right? So for example, pics of you with your family from 12-1230, pics of Matt w/his family from 1230-1. At the end of the wedding all s/he will have to do is the combined pictures which VASTLY cuts down on the amt. of time spent after the wedding.

C:So, in my head,(if you don't get married on an "up") this is what your day looks like

11:30ish-arrive at church
12:00ish-photos of bride and bride family
12:30ish-photos of groom and groom family
1:00ish-guests start to arrive people/pass out bulletins etc
1:30ish-wedding music starts
2:00ish-beautiful bride appears to walk down the aisle no the happiest day of her life remembering that all the drama before the wedding doesnt matter because she's about to become Mrs.Matt
2:25ish ceremony over unless you're having a really long mass?
2:25-3ish-receiving line
3ish (hopefully earlier): group photos w/both families and single shots of bride and groom.

If you get married on an UP then I would start the music at 1:00 w/the wedding starting at 1:30.

I think that if you make sure to tell people that the music starts at a certain time and the actual ceremony starts at a certain time in your invitation, that gives your out of town travelers just a little bit more leeway on when they can leave and can help you kind of compromise w/your mom. Also, it is totally appropriate for your photographer to steal you and matt from the receiving line to do a couple photos of the two of you. You will be able to greet any guests you miss at your reception. That being said, you could even do the group shots of the whole family at the reception site if necessary. Or outside. Or stop somewehre cool on the way to the reception.

Heather said...

i agree with everything ann said. i was going to get married on the hour too, until someone told me about the "up" legend. we changed it. :)

pictures before the ceremony is a good idea. we didn't do that and i wish we had. it was hard because we got married at the house and it was hot...and keeping b from seeing me would have been hard. but it will lessen the time people have to wait between the ceremony and the reception too, and that way your photographer won't have to rush while in the church. rushing the pictures is not good!