Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Rowing and Summer is coming

This pic is right before our big regatta last year

Last night I got out on the water for a second time this year. What exhaustion i felt. My first time out I was in a quad with a not-so-good rower in the stroke position that couldn't keep a pace and splashed me every time he dropped his oar in the water, and sometimes on his recovery up the slide, and then sometimes god only knows how because I was soaked straight through. I was ready to be rung out from the cold, 50-degree nasty river water. Yesterday, a much drier experience but much harder. It got me thinking about this summer and my goals for getting in shape and being productive.
I am wondering if I should take private lessons this summer to really improve my technique and get comfortable rowing alone in a single. But the coach is kind of a swindler and charges unbelievably high prices for lessons. And really, the quality of the lessons is directly proportionate to the amount of money you have in your bank account. I have some rather ambitious goals for myself this summer as far as trying to get in shape. I told Matt that I would consider myself successful if i worked out for at least 1/2 hour 6 out of 7 days a week this summer. Is it too much? I figure working out can be any form of exercise that gets my heart rate up; could be walking, running, rowing, tennis, swimming, anything. And it will keep me outside, and hopefully tone me up a little bit. The eating healthier will hopefully follow suit. I would LOVE to be able to join an outdoor pool/fitness club but I cant seem to find anything cheap and close. I would LOVE to be able to go down to the pool and lay out and swim some laps on the weekends with Matt. Why does everything have to be so expensive? And if it's less expensive it's SO inconvenient.
Looking ahead to the summer I want to kick-start it the right way. The weather is getting nicer and it's giving me a lot of energy that I don't usually have in the winter. This is my last summer living downtown and I want to make sure I take full advantage of it. Some of the things I want to do are:
1). Plant some vegetables in pots (thanks Pottamus) to grow on my Balcony and eventually move to the house with Matt
2) help my future sister-in-law with her yard work
3)Spend more time with people I dont get to see very often
4) Plant flowers at the house
5) of course, try to be in better shape
The summer is going to fly by.... hopefully ill have something to show for it.

2 comments:

ann ominous said...

my friend in cinci works out 2 hours a day....i think she's crazy and admire your much more realistic half hour!

you are welcome for the pottable veggies idea :-)

Heather said...

ah. summer. i too, can't wait for it to get here. i'm loving spring. but summer is what i live for.

although, not wishing time away either!