Monday, March 16, 2009

Back home and Pre-Cana

I am surprisingly energized right now. Considering my personality type and how a ton of little things going on all at once can make me crazy. No less, a ton of big things right now have really not made me all that nuts. Big things like, o WEDDING PLANNING, and um BUYING MY FIRST HOUSE, o lets see TRAVELLING, WORK, and expenses , expenses EXPENSES! I dont think i am a very calm person in general, even when I dont have a big agenda, but I am surprising myself a little bit right now.

Friday night I came home from the thriving, exciting and happening city of Moab, Utah and couldn't have been more happy to see Matt. He met me by my car to help me with my huge briefcase and computer, heavy suit case that ive been lugging on and off planes all day ( filled with tissues and TP-- in the typical Matt's family fashion, and to carry some papers and grab my mail. I swear he gets cuter every time i go a while without seeing him. It was a long week, working long days, tons of paperwork to write and people to talk to. It was so exhausting for my young and insecure mind. My mind was constantly on "on" mode, thinking out everything to make sure I at least sounded like i knew what i was talking about when i was in a position of authority. I was ready to leave friday morning, and although still not totally relaxed I was able to enjoy the beautiful snow covered mountains on the drive out to the airport in Grand Junction, and the red rock canyons and cliffs in the foreground. It is beautiful out west.

I didnt feel like going out or doing anything the entire weekend. Saturday morning was another early morning for Pre-Cana (or wedding prep classes). A requirements for all couples who are marrying in the Catholic Church. Although I had no expectations prior to going, i was pleasantly surprised how 'not so bad' it all was. In fact, some things were kind of fun! We took some personality tests, and some explored our feelings about some major marital issues, and we passed with flying colors!! We took one test about our feelings regarding finances, friends, children, parenting,-- all major conflict areas in our "conflict managment class" and we finished and HAD ALL THE SAME ANSWERS!! It was unbelievable. And I think the class was mainly for couples that had questions and brought some pending issues to light, the sessions only made me feel closer to matt and love him even more.

There was one subject that sticks with with me, that kind of surprised me a little too. During the first session about personality types. As much as I used to think I was an extrovert, loved going out and being involved (especially in college), I think Matt and I are both introverts. We never actually took an objective personality test, but based on the discussion I think we definitely are. I get energized when I have time to stay home and relax with matt, It's not relaxing for me to go the bars and drink with friends. I don't enjoy talking to people on the phone, and I have to plan time in my head to make the important phone calls so I can stay connected. And after some discussion about married life, this worries me. I already see myself drifting from some of my partying friends, and I am feel like this is only going to grow when I have a family and TONS of other distractions. We enjoy doing things together as a coup;e; it's calm, its comfortable, we connect with each other, we laugh, it's all we need. I am wondering if this really should be a concern of mine? Should I start working on this before children even come into the picture? Is it normal that I feel like this?

One last closing tid bit before I go. The most memorable part of Pre-Cana was the session on Spirituality and Sexuality. What a subject, huh? Well, this session was HILARIOUS and tons of fun! For a subject presented to a room filled with TONS of preconceived notions, the presenter did an outstanding job leaving us with some take aways and keeping us engaged-- in the literal sense, no pun intended. SO anyway, the presenter came up to us before the session and asked us to stand up in the class and help him. We were going to play... ADAM AND EVE!! ha!! my immediate thought was 'No WAY!" but before I could say anything matt graciously accepted without hesitation. We ended up in front of the room full of 100+ couples acting out the story of Adam and Eve with props and everything. And people were laughing, Matt was SO FUNNY! For as shy as matt sometimes thinks he is, he was a natural. I thought I would be nervous, but standing up there with matt made me calmer than I ever thought id be. We had a lot of fun doing it, and it will be a memory we'll have for a loong, long time.

4 comments:

ann ominous said...

aww i'm so glad that you are doing well! interesting thing about personality tests etc...the "types" are really more about how you make judgements and decisions, where you draw your strength and energy from. They are also situational...for example, my personal life verses my work life...at work i'm very organized, follow lists etc...in my personal life, anything goes. I score as high as you can score on the Introvert scale...but I love public speaking and presentations etc.

If you haven't taken a personality test, this is a good one. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Heather said...

i've been to moab, utah! how funny. :) although we went through on vacation when we were driving cross-country...

pre-marital classes are interesting, and not a bad thing... i think the best thing they do for a couple is make sure that you truly know who you are marrying and what each of your expectations are...you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't ask the important questions (do you want kids?), or think they will be able to change their future spouse's mind on important subjects...hence the reason for many a divorce.

ann ominous said...

i think that i'm going to plant a tomato in one pot and maybe a pepper plant or two and possibly going to experiment with Lettuce. I'll Lettuce you know latah :-) ahhhhh the cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

i will remind you of your excitement when your new husband is sulking in the corner because it's 90 degrees outside and you wanted to just put in one more flower....just one honey...i promise!

ann ominous said...

a giant BOOOO to your flyers :-) I picked the other team in my bracket. I am a Flyer fan....Dayton born and raised, but, didn't think they'd do as well as they did! Fun game though!