Monday, March 2, 2009

Grandma, my love.

It's a slippery slope, really. I looked at my blog this morning and I knew I wanted to post, i love posting, but I stared at the screen for about three minutes until i wrote this. I don't want my blog to turn into nothing but wedding. Yes, my wedding is by far the biggest thing going on in my life, but it will probably be regretted if the bulk of my posts turn to wedding stuff,. There are a lot of other things going on in my life, I have on my mind-- like the ridiculous fight/tiff that Matt and I had over his stupid Zelda game last night. Just stupid is what is was, and a 'flight" that i couldn't get a word in without a stupid smirk on my face because it sounded so dumb.

But I do have a lot of my mind from dinner with my parents on Saturday night. We had a great and really fun night with them in Columbus as Polaris Grille-- which has the best food in town (in our opinion). I hadn't actually been home or seen my dad since christmas time, i cant believe it. It was great, we got to catch up about everything. I we sat and talked for over 4 hours-- we had to leave because it was getting late but we were all wishing it wasn't time to go. We talked about all the exciting things happening with my dad's company, or course the wedding, and family. We talked about my grandma (G) who is now getting older and it's getting harder and harder for her to get around. But how much we love her and she is so important to our family. She is very much the matriarch of the family and that she brings everyone together, everyone knows how smart and wise she is, and that she loves everyone so much. We all love and respect her, and I know my immediate family feels so incredibly close to her. I am unbelievably lucky to have such a great relationship with her.

We were talking on Saturday about the wedding and that my grandma has told my parents that she really would like to come. I wouldn't expect her to with getting around, and having to drive to Cincinnati and all. But the fact that I know she would love to come means the world. She is going to turn 90 years old the day before we get married. What a milestone. It would be so wonderful to be able to celebrate her and give her a big cake. At the same time we know that every day we have with her now is a gift, and we have no idea what 6 months will bring. She has been in the hospital a few times now since Christmas. But she is a fighter. What brought tears to our eyes was when my dad said that every time he sees her he treasures it because it could be the last time. I get choked up just writing it. And we all know how much my dad loves and respects her.

The best part is hearing my parents talk about how she feels about Matt. Grandmas loves Matt and her seal of approval is priceless to me, and the family. Grandmas have a feeling about people and usually are right. My mom told us that she loves how caring Matt is and that he is one of the few boyfriends brought to the family to really try to establish a relationship and get to know my Grandma. And it's true, Matt does treat her like a queen. ANd she should be treated that way. She knows how well Matt treats me and is always willing to help-- without even being asked. Matt has qualities about him that are hard to find any anybody, no less a husband. He is selfless and appreciative for the the little things, and it shows in the energy he puts forth to the people around him. My Grandma sees that.

And I hope i don't stop seeing it.

My mom mentioned one of the times when we took her to my cousin's wedding. Grandma needed to find the handicap ramp or an elevator. Matt jumped out of the car and raced up to the church to find it. Without even being asked. I didn't think anything of it because Matt is just that kind of a person, but my Grandmas said that it was exceptional. He didnt need to help at all, no less with such quickness and willingness. That's just how he is. And I know I am lucky.

I really do hope Grandmas makes it to my wedding. I would love to have her in the pictures, I would to be able to look over at her and see her there. I love her so much, I hope she knows how much she means to me. And to my future family.
... I better stop before I get any more choked up at work.

2 comments:

ann ominous said...

awww that's so great! i really wish that my grandparents had been alive for my wedding. they died maaaany years before though.

It's also very cool that your grandmother's 90th birthday is the day before your wedding! you could do something really neat for her at your rehearsal dinner! how cool!

i love family!

Heather said...

what a great post! i lost my last grandparent (my grandmother) last year in april, so she didn't make it to my wedding. but she was without a doubt the matriarch of our family, and had been since my grandpa passed almost 20 years earlier. she was special and is missed.

i hope your grandma makes it to your wedding. and don't worry if all your posts are about your wedding...it's what is going on in your life right now!