Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Wedding Planning non-Bliss

From the moment i got engaged EVERYONE, and i mean EVERYONE, told me right off that bad about how fun its going to be planning a wedding. In fact, i remember some of those exact same people told when they were planning their wedding that their dream job would be a Wedding Planner. Bridal shows, color scheming, arranging, they smiled and said it's all fun stuff. In fact, i should end that last sentence with an exclamation because they had a TON of enthusiasm. Well, now that it's my turn HOW THE HELL DID THEY DO IT!!?!

In fact, so far everything wedding related has been not fun, stressful, hard to coordinate and a HUGE pain and distraction from functioning my every day life. First of all, how is anyone suppose to plan anything if I work a normal job. Normal job being away from home getting paid to do something between the hours of 9 and 5 (in my case 7- 5). HOW DO YOU IT!?! Everyone who needs to be coordinated is gone by the time i leave the office!

I write this in an especially wretched mood because a bomb was dropped on me last night. I figure the two big things are church and reception. From there, the entertainment and the caterer. I thought i moved on. I picked a date, i even put a deposit on the church. Well, i am out the door on my way to my winter rowing workout-- that i have missed ever time since before Christmas-- and i am reading my blackberry and a message from Terri Kidney at Music Hall emails Matt and I at 5:06. Guess what the email said? Thanks for the interest in Music Hall but we misread the electronic version of our calendar and the date we CONFIRMED FOR YOU is not available and we have to cancel! Do you need to read that sentence again? Well, yes, you read that this person (and the 2 people in her office) ONLY JOB IS TO SCHEDULE EVENTS FOR THIS PLACE and THEY MISREAD A CALENDAR!!!!! WTF! I was livid last night, and apparently the sentiment hasn't resided, I feel like I wasted an entire week scouting out reception locations all because of Terri and her ignorant staff. Now what do i do?

Since my Church is downtown I want to have a downtown reception, which is great but also limiting because downtown receptions are very desirable and there are only a finite number of them. AND A WHOLE WEEK is down the tubes searching because of Terri!! I am just feeling overwhelmed and stressed about every aspect of planning and am praying it gets easier. I felt good about having a date and a path forward and it just seems like the rug was pulled out from under my feet. Are these normal feelings? How do I deal?

back to my real job....

** Terri Kidney at Music Hall, in my negative state i feel the only tool I have to get back at her and her staff is to give them bad press. This is why i mention her name when i tell this story. I might also blog about my miserable experience working with her staff on other wedding sites too. I failed to mention that when Matt and I went to meet with them and look at the place they made us sit in the lobby for over 25 minutes during our lunch hour on a workday. And yet, werent even that friendly.
Terri Kidney

Edit: I also remember from our meeting that Cindi from her staff told us, AND I QUOTE, that we "can do a happy dance now because it's available and ours" we juat had to wait for Terri to draw up the papers because TERRI KIDNEY is the RENTAL MANAGER at Music Hall.

4 comments:

ann ominous said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no.
that's terrible!!!!

I'm so sorry!

I may be a bad person but I took a sick day to meet with my photographer. I was in Athens and he was in Columbus and there wasn't any other way. So, I got the *cough cough* flu.

We also actually did quite a lot in the evenings, we would go look at the place and then if we liked it we would call during the day.

Have you signed up for the knot?

EJH said...

If you think it would at ALL help, email my friend Kate. She will totally call places and find out about their availability, and she may know of some places you haven't thought of yet.

*HUG* Just keep your eyes on the prize :) No matter where that reception happens, YOU and MATT will be HITCHED for it :)

Heather said...

i am sooo sorry! but these things do happen, unfortunately. we had quite a few happen.

i was lucky not to be working when planning, but weekends seem to be a popular time for most to look. it will calm down once you find your reception place...(i know you thought you found it) because really, church and reception are the things that need to be booked earliest. and then i say photographer. :)

don't stress about it as it TRULY doesn't make it any better!

Heather said...

there's a little something for you on my blog!