Friday, September 5, 2008

Hope this never happens again

What a week this SHORT week has turned into. It's been pretty busy, everyday I have had something to do; I even intended-- key word 'intended'- to workout/row twice this week before heading to cleveland this weekend for a family wedding. I like to lead a pretty active lifestyle, I like having the option to workout... even though I rarely take advantage of the time and ability to do so.
Until.... it gets taken away.
So, Wednesday evening-- typical HOT summer day, temperature on the Western Southern sign said 97 on my walk home that day. A and I were at the boathouse in the heat and pulled out a nice double intending to have a great workout and go pretty far. We took out the Hudson-- note to self- NEVER TAKE OUT AGAIN. Its a nice boat- a lightweight double, good condition, foot stretchers functioning, newer. But it does not have steering and A and I are NOT MEANT for this boat. First, it was difficult getting a pace because we felt so shaky and there was no rutter to steer in the bow. we were about 500 meters into our row when we became SO unstable we lost our oars and ALMOST tipped. Our first time taking this boat out, first on the water, and we almost TIPPED and flooded the boat and completely embarrassed ourselves! It was humiliating, i wish we could have had ourselves video-taped flailing in the water, trying to rebalance the totally tipped 180-degree the other way, with our oars pushed out, trying to grab them without unbalancing us even more. screaming, grabbing, pulling. and once we corrected we over-corrected and ended up 180-degree tipped THE OTHER WAY!! We had almost 2 gallons of water in the boat by the time we finally got back up. It was horrible!!!

So, continue on we row-- slowly, steady, carefully. WE finally make it to Wilder Park which is about 4-5k from the boathouse giving us about a 9-10k workout (which id say is pretty good). When mid-stoke i feel a shooting, debilitating pain in my lower back down my legs. Excruciating to point i could barely move my back forward to row up the slide, no less use any pressure to help us get back. So, in our already unstable boat i couldnt really stretch too much because I didnt want to risk tipping, I tried to take another stoke. This time the pain is almost unbearable. All I am thinking is 'god, make this pain go away... we are so far from the dock." A spun the boat around, and i barely stroked all the way back with every push and slide causing me to make a horrible face because it was hurting me so much. We finally made it back to the dock and i pulled myself out of the boat. I stood up and could barely walk. It was humiliating. I felt so bad for A who had to row my heavy body and boat back and then having to ask someone to carry to the boat back up to the boathouse because it hurt to much to lift out of the water. Humiliating.

I get home and was told icing and resting and pain pills. So, i got home iced and then. COULDN'T MOVE!!! I could barely flip over on my bed. I cried and called my mom, she told me to go the hospital in case i did something really bad to my back. I called Matt over and cried some more. I was standing in my living room sobbing my eyes out because i couldn't sit down, it hurt to cry because i was putting pressure on my lower back, and I didn't know what to do. The whole situation was even more embarrassing. I am such a tough person, and I usually think I can handle a good amount of pain-- but this was almost unbearable.

After about 800 mg of pain pills later I am laying in bed, unable to move anywhere, it's getting late and I dont know what to do. I have to go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. I cant move enough to turn over no less get out of bed. I am shrieking in pain as Matt caringly tries to help move me, i get to the bathroom and I am sick in so much pain, I passed out! All i remember was waking up in the hallway with Matt over me shaking to wake-up. I wont go into detail with everything else that happen during those few seconds (its too embarrassing)....but lets just say matt had to help me A LOT!!! After that night, and how late he stayed up with me, and how caring he was, I owe him my life.

I didnt go to work the next day... not just because I didn't get much sleep that night, but because the thought of sitting in a chair all day made me want to cry some more. The good news was I felt A LOT better than the night before. I was much more mobile, but still in pain. And today, I am in even less pain... but still not 100%. It was a scary time for me, if something really had been wrong I dont have a doctor yet in Cincinnati! Where would I have gone? Another thing that scared me was if I couldn't row again, or workout, or do anything for a WHILE!! Just the thought of that made me so sad.... and I cried some more about it. It was a terrible night. But the next day I was hopeful since I felt better and some of my friends (who knew about it) totally reached out to me. A even offered to take time off work to take me to the doctor she was so worried. In times like those I feel so good about the good friends I have in my life. And the pretty much perfect boyfriend who loves me more than anything. Its such a good feeling... and totally rejuvenating.

I hope I am even better tomorrow night so i can dance at my cousin's wedding.

Hopefully this never happens again.

No comments: