Friday, May 18, 2012

The Labor Story

One thing i realized i never did in the blur following the birth of my son is write down my labor story. Too often I have heard 'i wish i wrote it down' because it quickly gets mushed around with all the other memories you have and can be forgotten. After all, it's one of the most important days of your life. It worthy of cataloging. And heck, maybe my baby will one day want to know how he came into this world.

So I was 38 weeks and 6 days pregnant on a Friday going to my routine weekly visit to get checked and actually have an ultrasound in the Evendale office. The doctor's office we dont regularly go to, but because the week before when I met with Dr. Clark i told her that people tell me all the time how small my belly looks for the gestational age. So she felt around on top of my belly and decided we might as well have an ultrasound and to make my next week's visit at that office where they can do them.

So it's Friday morning-- My husband decided to work from home and I was off that day and had the appointment around 10am. We had to leave relatively early, and we were sort of rushing around that morning and i barely had breakfast to make it up north on time.  We waited a while in the waiting room, first to see the ultrasound tech- who only spent maybe 15 minutes with us, and then to see the doctor. The tech was a young women-- maybe my age-- who just shifted around without saying much. She showed us the head and the the foot, and commented on his lips. And gave us printed picture of his face and another picture we would late realize was just his lips. Finally when i went back to see the doctor, they weighed me (yep, gained a whopping 31lbs tipping the scales at 164). And at the time i was thinking i have more time left how much will i gain???

But as we waited in the exam room discussing what the doctor will tell us and reviewing our list of questions for what seemed like an eternity, Dr. LeMasters walks in and immediately tells us the results of the ultrasound. She said the baby was very small and the u/s told her he was 5lbs 11 oz.  She seemed worried and told us we need to get the baby out in case he isn't gaining enough in the womb. We didn't expect to hear that, we sort of chuckled and said  'well, you mean next weekend on my due date,' and she said 'No, like today, this weekend.' I am pretty sure i turned beat red. In disbelief. Like this is the end, we are meeting this baby... the date is no longer a future, nebulous time. But it's soon.

It's crazy, that was a moment i will never forget. And that a feeling i will never forget. She checked me before she signed her orders and I was 2cm and 50% effaced, so my body was getting ready. Little did we know that she seriously meant busy, we were ordered to go straight to the hospital. We couldn't go home and gather our things, we had to go straight there. She didn't trust us to not wait around but called the Dr. on call and said we were on our way.  So there i was, doctors orders in hand, a slight shake in my step, and were out of there. And my cell phone was no where to be found because of the rush I was in earlier in the morning-- and having to run to Wendy's to get matt breakfast that morning.

We arrive at the hospital and took the elevators with the stork to go straight to L&D.  We had to wait to get checked in as matt called his mom to make sure she was ok to swing by our house and grab the half packed hospital bag we had in our dishevelled bedroom. She was on her way. We got check in to the L&D but all the rooms were full so they sent us to the special unit where I was kind of in a holding pattern.  A few nurses came in and asked questions and finally after about 30 minutes i was hooked up to a fetal monitor and in a hospital bed. Dr. Clark came by about an hour later to check in on me and explain the game plan. I was having this baby! She was waiting on a room to open up on the other side because then they  started the pitossin (sp?) to get labor going.   As I waited i got an IV (which took 2 nurses and 4 stabs to finally get it in me), and waiting game began.

I remember having matt make some phone calls to make sure our plans for the weekend were notified. We didnt want to leave anyone in the lurch. We even had plans to help my friend L move that next day.  I also remember calling my parents and getting them on the way. My dad apparently hesitated before he left work to finish up some stuff. um, HELLO, your daughter in labor and that 4 hour drive? But they made it by the evening.

The day was beautiful, it was maybe 50 degrees but the sun was shining and there were no clouds in the sky as we drove to the hospital. It was a great day for my parents to drive.  Unfortunately i spent most of the day indoors. But our delivery room had a window and I remember watching the day slowly move by and it was evening before i knew it.  They started me on the pitossin around 5pm. Matt and i did lots of loops around hte L&D ward for what seemed like hours waiting for something to happen. aounr 8:30 or so Dr. Clark check me and broke my water. I was still not in much pain, but was full on the drip- almost full strength but still no major contractions that were painful. I was pretty content just waiting. Even got to have a berry flavored Popsicle. My parents arrived around 9pm and stayed for an hour or so before i kicked them out. Who knew what the night would have in store for us.

 Around 11 or so i was told to try to get some sleep-- even though it was near impossible because I have no idea what was happening to my body. By midnight it became apparent, THIS BABY WAS COMING. With all the fluids and drugs i was getting pumped up with my body was feeling it. I was shaking uncontrollable, shivering, and in some serious pain. I couldn't feel each contraction, i just totally out of control of my body.  They told me the baby's heart rate was starting to drop and nurses rushed in and they gave me oxygen.  I didn't know how long i could continue to hold out like this, i was checked and still at 2cm. Around midnight i asked for an epidural.

The night slowly ticked by, my body feeling odd and emotionally a little worried the whole time.  At one point in the night they had to put the oxygen back on, they insert and internal monitor which felt so heavy, i couldn't get comfortable....I was in uncharted territory, i had no idea what I was in for.  I think that was the longest night ever.

By the time the sun came up around 6:30-7am, i had a new nurse her name Tammy. She was bright eyed and full of life. When she came in the first time i knew it was time.  She looked at my charts and said Dr. Clark was on her way  but she was delivering another baby down the hall. She'll be here shortly.  At 7:50 she arrived (knowing that 8am she was off the night shift), but she checked me and I was ready to push. And boy was i ready.  Other nurses came in and started setting up stuff.   At one point right when i was getting ready I was asked if the young student could watch and she is studying to become a nurse. This would be her first delivery. I guess i had no choice in my head so i said yes. And 40 minutes later, my sweet baby boy was here.

 There was a little but of confusion with Viacord getting the cord blood and tissue in the right containers, but it all worked out.  My baby was the most beautiful thing i had ever seen. Within an hour my parents, matt's mom and his brother came to see him.  It was the happiest day of my life. And at 8:40am, my 6lbs 9.5 oz love of my life entered the world and I was never the same again.

No comments: