Friday, November 27, 2009

Emotional Week full of thanks giving

This week was going to an ordinary week with one day off for the fun and wonderful holiday of feasting. Until Saturday night the news broke that my husband's aunt had died. She had been in the nursing home for almost 5 years now, and been in and out of hospice twice i believe, it was far from unexpected. However, she was a woman who never married and devoted her life to giving. And giving for her mom, her family, and her extended family. I was saddened to hear the news, but matt's moms spoke of it rather with relief that she is free from suffering now. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday came and went and we arrived at the funeral home for the wake on Tuesday night. It was beautiful and everyone in Matt's family was there. And of course we saw her laying thier so peacefully and I couldn't stopped the tears from coming and coming and coming. I honestly didnt expect to cry, It was strange to me, i knew this women for just a couple years and everyone else hear has had 50+ years with this woman. But it made my heart sick because I knew how much they loved her, and how much she cared for her and all the great memories they shared with her. I found the whole experience just heart wrenching.

Matt family is a very unique family. Unique in the way that they are HUGE and UNBELIEVABLY close. And how is it possible that EVERYONE, just EVERYONE is just incredibly nice, and willing to help, and full of nice things to say all-the-time. It's really surreal. The things they do for each other, the love is bursting. When i sat at the funeral it made me sad that i never was around to see her well. The eulogy was amazing, all the nieces and nephews prepared memories of her and j pulled them together beautifully. It was the best eulogy ive ever heart. I laughed, i cried, i laughed, and cried cried cried. It's amazing that you dont have to know a person a life-time to be touched so deeply.

Thanksgiving came, and it ended up being the third thanksgiving for the week. Tuesday night Aunt Mary had everyone over for sandwiches. Wednesday after the funeral there was another feast for the repass. And finally thursday came around and it was just another day of over-indulgence. And although it was the first thanksgiving that the family didn't take turns bringing food over to Aunt Saucy/Sylvia/Sills/ Sauce, we were in away celebrating her life for 3 whole days. The day really gave me a chance to reflect on how thankful i am for all the blessing i have in my life. And my own family. In no particulate order, here is my list for thanksgiving 2009:
- My husband that loves me and stands by me even when i am an emotional basket case
-my friends, who never forget about me
-my Family that really, really loves me. And loves my new husband
-My in-laws who are so welcoming and inviting, loving, caring and amazing
-my dog odie, who is the cutest, sweetest, most patient and loving dog.
-My grandma, who is a rock. And I love her.
-My house, my beautiful, cozy, old house
- A wonderful start to the holiday season, my favorite time of time of the year.

1 comment:

ann ominous said...

ohhhh i'm sorry for your loss... :-(
i am very thankful for your blessings too :-)